My daughter had a birthday today, and her favorite treat happens to be a carrot cake. So obviously, that was the treat that she requested me to make for her, while she was at school.
I wanted to see if I could create a recipe for healthy, vegan carrot muffins, so that we could enjoy carrot cake more often. I was excited to see if my daughters would like it, even though I didn’t use any white flour or sugar in a recipe, and to my surprise they really liked it. 🙂 So obviously I wanted to write this recipe down and share it with you. If you prefer it really sweet, feel free to add more maple syrup or other sweetener.
My girls are not used to having a lot of sugar in their everyday diet, so they were perfectly happy with this amount. 🙂
Hope you’ll enjoy it! 🙂 Here is the link to maple cinnamon walnuts recipe.
- 1 cup cashews
- 3 tbs coconut oil
- 3 tbs maple syrup
- 1 cup grated carrots(3-4)
- 1 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 2tbs lemon juice
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup maple syrup (or more if you prefer it sweeter)
- 1tsp baking powder
- (cinnamon to taste)
- Soak cashews overnight in water. Rinse with cold water, then drain.
- Combine muffin ingredients, and pour into moulds.
- Bake at 320 F degrees for 30 minutes, depending on the size of muffin moulds.
- Process the icing ingredients until creamy and smooth (takes a few minutes).
- Spread over cooled muffins with caramelized walnuts.