I’ve been posting a lot of juice recipes lately, because I’m so into juicing. Also, my girls (and my hubby) are used to drinking all kinds of vegetable juices, and they even crave it. I often find my girls asking me to make veggie juice for them. Evidently, purchasing a juicer was a wise investment. However, my 2 y/o son (who is a super picky eater) would never touch a veggie juice, so I often hide the vegetable juice in the popsicles. I even dye the popsicle with beets, so he thinks he’s eating a berry popsicle. 😀
Consuming fresh vegetable juice has many great benefits:
- It helps you get more nutrients from vegetables and reach your daily target for vegetables
- Helps you reach your goal of eating 1/3 of your diet raw
- Works as a great source of structured water, which is a type of water that occures within our cells. It has a different chemical structure than what we typically drink as a water (H3O2)
(Source: Pollack, Gerald H., PhD. Cells, Gels, and the Engines of Life)
- Helps you consume a wide variety of vegetables (Many people stick with the same salads every day)
- Gives you more energy
- Boosts your immune system
- Supports brain function. Fruit and vegetable juices may play an important role in delaying the onset of Alzheimer’s disease, particularly among those who are at high risk for the disease. (Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16945610)
- Makes your skin glow
- Helps you lose weight (depending on what vegetables/fruits you use). Make sure not to juice too many fruits that are high in fructose, especially if you wish to lose weight. Personally, I like to use lemons or limes for sweetening my juice up.
Consume the veggie juice within 24-hours
It’s important to consume the veggie juice withing 24-hours. The fresher the juice, the more nutrients and benefits it will provide you. The nutrients are destroyed through the contact with air, which oxidizes them. You also lose taste.
Also, another reason to drink the juice as soon as possible is that the storage of fresh juice allows methanol to dissociate and increase over time. The human body is not adapted to detoxify methanol,and this causes so many problems. It can even convert into formaldehyde that can then find its way into your brain.
”Methanol toxicity, which is primarily associated with the artificial sweetener aspartame, has been linked to Alzheimer’s and other health problems. Methanol is not a problem in fresh produce because the methanol is bound to pectin, which allows it to safely pass through your system, but the processing and storing of it could allow it to build up. So make sure you discard any left-over juice the next day.”
-Dr. Andrew Saul
Try to use organic vegetables and fruits whenever possible.
According to Environmental Working Group these following vegetables are the most pesticide-loaded, so try to purchase at least these organic:
- Kale/ Collard Greens
- Handful of lemon balm or mint leaves
- ½ lime
- 1 green apple
- 1 organic cucumber (small)
- Ice cubes
- Put all ingredients through a juicer.
And feel free to share!